iMovie is a platform developed by Apple Inc. for all its macOS, iOS, and iPadOS device users. iMovie is a video-editing application which was released in 1999 as a MacOS 8 application. So, basically, it provides you with the basic, no-frills editing tools from scene to scene.
iMovie is generally free for Apple users. All you need to do is just choose your clips, or short videos and add titles or music and effects. iMovie supports 4K video for cinema-quality films just the way you like them. With this software, you can actually create a professional video without an editing degree.
iMovie for iOS and iMovie for macOS are designed to work together. You can start cutting a project on your iPhone, then use AirDrop or iCloud Drive to wirelessly transfer it to your iPad. You can also send a project from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac for polishing like colour correction and animated maps. There’s also an option where you can open iMovie projects in Final Cut Pro to take advantage of professional editing tools.
Let’s start with how to add music to iMovie on an iPhone or iPad.
How to add sound effects?
1. Firstly, tap the plus sign ‘+’ icon.
2. Select Audio
3. Then choose your soundtrack and preview your soundtrack. Tap on it
4. Now, you can choose your Sound Effects
5. Tap through the effects to play them
6. Select the plus sign ‘+’ icon to insert it into your project.
How to add music to iMovie on a Mac?
1. Firstly, you need to click the Audio in the top toolbar of the iMovie window.
2. On the left-hand side of the screen, select the source you want to use for your sound, for example, Music, Sound Effects, or GarageBand. This music option will give you compatible tracks from your iTunes library.
3. Float your cursor over each sound clip or song and listen to the clip.
4. You have to click and drag the desired sound to the editing bar now, which is at the bottom of the iMovie window.
An important note for every user: If you try to drag the clip just below the video, you will see a green line that indicates it is connected to a specific clip. Otherwise, if you drag the sound clip lower, it will appear on its own line, which is common for background music.
How can you edit music for iMovie?
You can edit your music by any of the three methods mentioned below.
1. You can adjust the volume simply by clicking and dragging the line going through the centre of the track.
2. Then there’s another option to fade the music. All you need to do is just click the circle that appears on either end of the track and try to drag it to the right or to the left side.
3. Another step is to reduce the background noise by clicking the noise-reduction button available.