Shakib Al Hasan courted yet another controversy on Friday after he was kicking the stumps, knocking the bails off and aggressively arguing with the on-field umpire on camera during a Dhaka Premier League match.
Former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan is in the news for all the wrong reasons once again (AFP Photo)
- Shakib Al Hasan could be slapped with a big fine or a ban for his unruly behaviour in a DPL match
- Shakib was caught on camera kicking the stumps, knocking the bails off and aggressively arguing with the umpire
- “I am extremely sorry for losing my temper and ruining the match for everyone,” Shakib said after the T20
Former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan issued an apology on Friday for his unruly behaviour during a Dhaka Premier League match in which he was seen kicking the stumps, knocking the bails off and aggressively arguing with the on-field umpire.
Shakib courted yet another controversy for the way he reacted twice during the DPL match between Mohammedan Sporting Club and Abahani Limited.
Shakib, who is the captain of MSC, was first furious at the umpire’s decision to deny him an lbw appeal against Mushfiqur Rahim and then was then angered by the umpire’s decision to take the players off the field with one ball remaining in the sixth over as the rain came down.
Shakib later apologised for his actions in a statement that he put up on his Facebook page.
“Dear fans and followers, I am extremely sorry for losing my temper and ruining the match for everyone and especially those who are watching from home. An experienced player like me should not have reacted that way but sometimes against all odds it happens unfortunately.
“I apologise to the teams, management, tournament officials and organizing committee for this human error. Hopefully, I won’t be repeating this again in the future. Thanks and love you all,” Shakib said in the statement.
Incidentally, this is not the first time Shakib has made the headlines while playing in a domestic T20 league. The record-breaking Bangladeshi cricketer was banned in 2018 by the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) after he failed to report multiple approaches from an alleged bookie during his Sunrisers Hyderabad stint in IPL 2018.
The all-rounder came back to the sport on October 29 last year after serving out his one-year ban.
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.