Home World China Reopens World's Third Busiest Port After Partial Virus Halt

China Reopens World’s Third Busiest Port After Partial Virus Halt


China Reopens World's Third Busiest Port After Partial Virus Halt

Lines of trucks are seen at a container terminal of Ningbo Zhoushan port in Zhejiang

Beijing, China:

China reopened a key terminal at the world’s third-busiest cargo port on Wednesday, after a shutdown to control the coronavirus caused major backlogs elsewhere and worsened export already extended delays caused by the pandemic.

The halt at the eastern Ningbo-Zhoushan port started two weeks ago, when a worker at its Meishan terminal tested positive for the disease.

The terminal handles a fifth of the container volume at Ningbo-Zhoushan and the hold-up forced ships to other Chinese ports, which were left facing their worst levels of congestion in seven years, reported Chinese media outlet Caixin this week.

The closure added stress to an already stretched global shipping network, with soaring demand for goods from Western consumers in the pandemic piling pressure on Chinese exporters who face strict domestic virus controls.

The Ningbo-Zhoushan port handled almost 1.2 billion tons of goods in 2020.

But Ningbo authorities said late Tuesday that restrictions will be lifted from Wednesday morning.

“All units in the zone must comprehensively do a good job in epidemic prevention and control, as well as resumption of work and production,” said a notice republished by state broadcaster CCTV.

Businesses should also prioritise the loading and unloading of stranded trucks, the notice added.

Chinese port workers are routinely tested for Covid-19, and the affected worker had been fully vaccinated.

It remains unclear how the member of staff contracted the virus.

The port disruption followed the closure of the Yantian port in southern trade hub Shenzhen in May after an outbreak involving port workers.

China has been battling a resurgence of Covid-19 in recent weeks caused by the highly infectious Delta variant, but strict lockdowns and mass testing has helped push new case numbers back down.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

Will Of Prince Philip Will Be Sealed, Remain Private For 90 Years: Court

<!-- -->Prince Philip died at the age of 99 in London on April 9.London: The will of Prince Philip, the late husband of...

All-Civilian Crew Healthy, Happy And Resting: SpaceX

<!-- -->Elon Musk tweeted that he had personally spoken with the crew and "all is well."Washington: SpaceX's all-civilian Inspiration4 crew are "healthy, happy...

Australia Says More US Troops To Come, Eyes Missile Work

<!-- -->Australia will be "significantly enhancing" cooperation, said its defence minister. (FILE)Washington: Australia said Thursday that more US troops will rotate through the...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

30,570 Fresh COVID-19 Cases In India

<!-- -->COVID-19: The number of active cases has dropped to 3,42,923New Delhi: With 30,570 more people testing positive for COVID-19, India's overall infection...

Will Of Prince Philip Will Be Sealed, Remain Private For 90 Years: Court

<!-- -->Prince Philip died at the age of 99 in London on April 9.London: The will of Prince Philip, the late husband of...

All-Civilian Crew Healthy, Happy And Resting: SpaceX

<!-- -->Elon Musk tweeted that he had personally spoken with the crew and "all is well."Washington: SpaceX's all-civilian Inspiration4 crew are "healthy, happy...

France Says Biden Acted Like Trump To Sink Australia Defence Deal

<!-- -->France accused Joe Biden on Thursday of stabbing it in the back. (FILE)Paris: France accused US President Joe Biden on Thursday of...

Recent Comments